Saturday, January 26, 2008

Normal? No never...not me


Hey. I'm Barry Shields. I'm an instructional designer with Cisco Systems. I finally realized that the learning ideas I have are not really that wacky. They are simply out of the norm. I'm sure these thoughts I have are in other's heads as well. Surely they must be.


The vision of this blog is to create a place for "out of the norm" ideas about learning to be discussed. Enjoy it. It may be difficult to implement innovative learning, but we certainly can have fun discussing it.


Here are my top three "out of the norm" beliefs...


1. Adults do NOT need exams. They may benefit from coaching and feedback overtime, but conforming to the social norm and strickly master's degree tought idea that exams are a must, is truly an outdated standard.

2. The most important component of learning is confidence. Adults are very resourceful and simply need the right tools and CONFIDENCE. With that, they can perform any task.

3. Mix it up....give learners a task to perform, guidence to reflect on their performance, then offer the presentation of content. Let's step away from the standards of instructional design for a moment. Thank you Gagne for a great formula for desgin, but it's 2008. Think about how people live, work, and play. It's about "DOING SOMETHING." Just do it, then reflect.


Ok, that's it. Much more to come, but I can't just say all that haunts me in one post.


No comments: